Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Mutant Produce


Being a big fan of of that epic tome How Are You Peeling? by Saxton Freymann and Joost Elffers, I am always on the lookout for fruits and vegetables that look like something more than what they are. While I don't spend hours scouring the produce bins at the local markets or have produce guys on my payroll to bring me likely subjects from Korean markets (a la the authors of Play With Your Food), I do take the time to purchase any mutants that cross my path and make sure that they are photographed before being consumed. I must say that it is undeniably painful to cut into a bell pepper with a profile not unlike that of the late great Bob Hope.

So, here for your viewing amusement and pleasure, is my menagerie of anthropomorphic veggies-

Two views of the "Bob Hope" bell pepper
June 2007 

Cactus caterpillar
Zion National Park, 2005
Siamese cukes
Found California Ave Farmers' Market, July 2013
Little Persimmon Face
Portrait by The Picky Eater
Mr. Potato Nose
Thanksgiving mashed potatoes, 2009
Two & three legged carrots
Procured California Ave. Farmers' Market, June 2013









No comments:

Post a Comment