Sunday, April 8, 2012

The Picky Eater decided to encourage me to get back in the blogging groove- it has been weeks since I had the free time to rustle up a post- by sending me a guest post (from her). Read on ...


The Picky Eater's Guide to Surviving Ten Weeks on Dining Halls

Hey all! Picky Eater here! As you've probably guessed, I'm off at college these days. Believe it or not, I'm actually doing OK with food at college, but that could be because I go to a place where the dining hall serves mashed parsnips on occasion and has steamed vegetables at every meal.

This summer, though, I'm going to be staying here with only ten meals a week on my dining plan. I won't have access to a stove or an oven. I might have a kettle and a toaster. I am guaranteed a microwave and a fridge, nothing else. Trader Joes and a farmer's market are both two train stops away, and Reading Terminal Market in Philly is only a few more.

This is also a guide for picky eaters to have around if they're not happy with the food where they are. Hey, maybe instead of candy and cookies in a care package, try sending them these!
Bread
Peanut butter
Honey
Good olive oil
Yogurt
Freeze-dried miso soup
Fruit
Broccoli
Cherry tomatoes
Kombu
Silken tofu

If I have time soon, look for the Picky Eater's selection of food blog recipes.
My parents might have to suffer through some of these in the three weeks I get at home before research.

No comments:

Post a Comment